Court backs Conservatives’ funding cut to ‘anti-Semitic’ Arab group

Finally picked up by the English language press:

An appeal court has upheld the Conservative government’s decision to cut funding to a “radical and anti-Semitic” Arab-Canadian group once headed by a Liberal candidate.

In 2009, then-Citizenship and Immigration minister Jason Kenney cut $1 million in annual funding to the Canadian Arab Federation, arguing that the group’s leadership had repeatedly expressed support for Hamas and Hezbollah. The Federation had a long track record of “expressing hateful, antisemitic views, and glorifying terrorists,” said Kenney in a Wednesday email to the National Post.

The group has subsequently failed in two lawsuits to have the funding reinstated. The Federal Court upheld Kenney’s decision in 2014, followed more recently by the Federal Court of Appeal.

“I have been on public record disagreeing with the approach taken by the current administration of the Canadian Arab Federation,” said Omar Alghabra, Liberal candidate for Mississauga Centre and a president of the group between 2004 and 2005.

He added, “at the end of the day, it’s government’s prerogative to make decisions on what to fund and what not to fund.”

The Canadian Arab Federation had been paid an annual sum of $1 million in exchange for providing language-training services to new immigrants.

In severing ties with the group, Kenney’s office had cited several specific incidents, including a CAF executive attending a Cairo conference where Hamas and Hezbollah delegates were present, and a CAF-organized rally in which the Hezbollah flag was flown. Last year, a decision by Federal Court Justice Russel Zinn wrote that, based on the Ministry’s evidence, “CAF appears to support organizations that Canada has declared to be terrorist organizations and which are arguably anti-Semitic.”

Source: Court backs Conservatives’ funding cut to ‘anti-Semitic’ Arab group 

Financement supprimé: la Fédération canado-arabe perd en appel | National

And so it ends (as part of the Government’s defence, I had to submit an affidavit as part of the discovery process):

La Cour d’appel fédérale a rejeté la tentative de la Fédération canado-arabe de faire renverser une décision par laquelle son financement avait été supprimé en raison d’allégations voulant que le groupe soutienne les actions d’organisations terroristes.

Dans sa décision, la Cour d’appel a dit que la fédération ne pouvait réclamer «un devoir d’équité procédurale» de l’ancien ministre de l’Immigration Jason Kenney.

Le banc de trois juges a unanimement confirmé la décision de la Cour fédérale, à l’effet que M. Kenney avait suivi le protocole en décidant de ne pas renouveler le financement d’un programme d’apprentissage de langues pour les immigrants en 2009-2010.

Citoyenneté et Immigration a déclaré à la fédération en mars 2009 que certaines déclarations faites par ses responsables semblaient être antisémites et soutenir des groupes terroristes.

La lettre du ministère affirme que cela soulevait de sérieuses préoccupations au sujet de l’intégrité de la fédération et que cela avait miné la confiance du gouvernement envers l’organisme en tant que partenaire approprié pour offrir des services aux nouveaux arrivants.

La fédération avait plaidé en Cour fédérale que les déclarations en question avaient été faites par des personnes qui ne représentaient pas officiellement l’organisation et qu’elle ne les avait pas approuvées.

via Financement supprimé: la Fédération canado-arabe perd en appel | National.